Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Are You Possessing Your Promised Land (Women's Conference)?


(1)"Now, Isra'el, listen to the laws and rulings I am teaching you, in order to follow them, so that you will live; then you will go in and take possession of the land that ADONAI, the God of your fathers, is giving you...(9) Only be careful, and watch yourselves diligently as long as you live, so that you won't forget what you saw with your own eyes, so that these things won't vanish from your hearts. 
~ Moses to the Israelites (Deuteronomy 4:1,9) CJB 



Thank you to all who were praying for our women's conference!  Much SEED was sown...and now - since neither the planter nor the waterer is anything, but it is only God Who brings the increase (
1 Corinthians 3:7) - I ask that you continue to pray for the LORD to bring an abundant harvest into the lives of which His Seed was sown.

Today's Word from Skip Moen (below) is the perfect introductory word into the coming week's message I intend to share from last week's conference:  Are You Possessing Your Promised Land?  

What's the correlation between the Old Covenant Israelites' Promised Land and the New Covenant Followers' Abundant Living?  Is there a connection at all; and what can we learn from the Deuteronomy account?  

But most importantly, what on earth must we do to finally take possession of it...this abundant life?

Let's explore this together in the days ahead!  

For now, enjoy Skip's message from the Life-Giving Word of El Elyon...


Proper Order

“You have sown much, and bring in little; you eat but are not satisfied; you drink but are not filled” Haggai 1:6

But . . Not – How do you like life on the treadmill? How many times have you and I felt exactly like Haggai’s description of futility? We work hard and have nothing much to show for it. We eat but are still hungry. We drink but remain thirsty. What’s our solution? More of everything. Supersize it. Stuff ourselves. But we discover we have the same gnawing feelings. It’s all been for nothing. The wheel just keeps on turning.

God has a solution to this constant human emptiness. In fact, that’s what the message of the prophet Haggai is all about. God’s answer is “Get your priorities in order first.” The holes in your soul can’t be filled with more production, more food and more drink. Tend to what matters most, and you will be filled to overflowing.

In Haggai’s day, God reminded the people that they neglected the things of the Lord while they accumulated for themselves. They soon discovered the law of diminishing returns. Filling life with everything but His purposes only increases the hunger. God told Israel, “Why are you consumed with your own well-being when you have not made my house the top priority?” What is the result? Emptiness – inside and out! God withholds prosperity and satisfaction until the priorities are in the right order.

We can learn a bit more about the serious nature of this sad state of affairs by looking at the Hebrew construction here. It is 
v’ayin, a word that combines a conjunction (“but”) with “not.” However, the particular characteristics of this word for “not” are very wide ranging. It can be a simple “no” or it can be a comparison asserting that something is as nothing. It can refer to lack of something or it can be used to say that something is not permitted. It’s used hundreds of times in Scripture. If we think about this wide range of applications, we can see just how penetrating YHWH’s statement really is. When His plans and purposes don’t come first, all kinds of negative things happen. What we work so hard to achieve ends up as nothing. What we so desire for basic sustenance still lacks the ability to satisfy. What we thought was acceptable becomes something that is not permitted. Everything in life is messed up. In the end we discover that nothing really works the way we wanted it to.

How simple the solution! God comes first. We all know that this is true, but we seem to have such a hard time making it the central operating principle of daily living. Here’s a suggestion. Haggai tells us how to notice when our priorities are getting detoured. Satisfaction diminishes. Take a hard look at your life. Are you really satisfied? Are you filled up with delight? Or are there holes in your soul-pockets? If you find some empty places, don’t run out and try to fill them! Instead, see if your priorities are a little out of alignment. God’s job is to fill us with purpose and delight. Our job is to please Him. It’s so easy to get the two confused.


Jail Ministry Prayer Requests 10/19/08

As for me, far be it from me to sin against ADONAI by ceasing to pray for you! ~ 1 Samuel 12:23 

Jennifer - My name is Jennifer. I am in here for hot checks.  My court date is December 18th and it feels like an eternity away.  I don't know where I'm going when I get out of here and so I need prayer that God will provide!  I need prayer for my  marriage.  For faith, peace and strength  Also that my children will be restored to me and forgive me.  I also need prayer that God will take the anxiety that is attacking my mind and body.

Gloria -  My name is Gloria and I would like prayer for my mother who has been in the hospital.  I would like a prayer for myself, that my days in lockup will go by smooth and quick as possible  also for lots of love for everyone in my family and my loved ones.  Amen

Sara - I am Sara I pray for God to show me my purpose He intends for me.  And for faith and hope to guide me through the trials I am in.  Thank you and God bless you.

Michelle - Please pray that my children are safe while I am away.

Alisha - Pray that I get to get bonded out next week and get a couple of weeks to spend with my mother and JD.  Please pray for my mother Kelly and for JD (boyfriend) he is in the hospital right now.
 
ISO (Isolation)  Casey - Please pray that I continue to grow closer to the Lord in all I do.  Also for me to continue to have strength for the rest of my time here.

Judy's Update:
Hey there pray warriors,
This week was a bit humorous as Beth and I went to visit the ladies on Friday morning and most all the women but for a few Spanish speaking women were fast asleep.
I returned yesterday afternoon and was welcomed by several women who were happy to have a visitor.  I brought my boom box and we sang Open The Eyes Of My Heart and discussed it's origin in Isaiah 6:1-3 as well as the tools for life in Proverbs.
The sweet little juvenile, Casey, was so excited that God had put discussing Proverbs on my heart as on Saturday she had gone through Proverbs and written down all those verses that touched her heart and pertained to her life.
A praise to report is that Pamela who had been in H-pod was given an ankle monitor that allowed her to go home see her family and take care of health issues while she waits to serve her time.
Thank you all for your prayers. They are truly coveted by these precious women.

1 comment:

Amydeanne said...

Carmen, funny that you write about priorities.. this has been on my heart so much lately. I have been praying for a lot of people lately whom seem to have mixed priorites and working on getting myself right.
Hugs and prayers

(praying for the ladies as I read through your ministry list!)

But as for me, Heaven forbid that I should boast about anything except the execution-stake of our Lord Yeshua the Messiah! Through Him, as far as I am concerned, the world has been put to death on the stake; and through Him, as far as the world is concerned, I have been put to death on the stake.  For neither being circumcised nor being uncircumcised matters; what matters is being a NEW CREATION. And as many as order their lives by this rule, shalom upon them and mercy, and upon the Isra'el of God! 

~ Galatians 6:14-16

All Content © 2016 Mereas of Grace/Women of the Word All Rights Reserved